Saturday, April 26, 2008


I started the job of trying to cut the roof off by carefully scoring just under the rivet line with an X-acto knife. After about five passes I began to understand why modelers go straight for their Dremel tools when they start a kit bash like this one.

Still, I was hesitant because I knew a cut-off wheel would melt the plastic even at the Dremel's slowest speed, so I practiced a bit by cutting the roof off an old Tyco caboose, and the results were promising enough to let me dare to move on to the observation car.

It's nearly impossible to make a straight cut, and the burr of melted plastic makes the cut look like hell, but I took my time, kept at it, and found it doesn't turn out nearly as bad as it first looks once the burr is carefully scraped away.

Cutting with the Dremel tool revealed what the X-acto knife only began to hint at: These models are made with plastic so thick it could deflect bullets! Battleships don't have armor plating this thick! Even after going all the way around the roof with the Dremel's cut-off wheel I had to use a utility knife to finish cutting through the thickest parts of the plastic.

No comments: