Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Spent a chunk of the afternoon installing this bit of benchwork -- finding the right height for it, leveling it off, screwing all the bits in place. It turned out to be a lot more fiddling than I thought it would. It always does.

I wanted to keep it as low as possible without impeding the passage of dome liner cars on the tracks beneath. I found the ideal height through a little experimentation -- inching the posts up and down a quarter inch at a time, then pushing dome cars back and forth along the track.

With that settled, I had only to cut the lumber I needed, then screw it in place, easily the least enjoyable part of the job. I had to contort myself into all kinds of yoga poses I didn't know I could do to fit myself beneath the bench so I could drill out the needed holes, then drive screws into each of them.

About three hours later, with a short break for lunch, this 20 x 48 inch piece is in place. The passenger station will eventually be erected over five tracks on the near end of the plywood sheet. 

No comments: