Saturday, September 8, 2007

Given the slip, part 1

About seven or eight years ago, I bought a kit from a vendor at a train show for a double-slip switch, and it's rattled around in the bottom of a tool box ever since. This week, I finally get around to giving it a shot.

The ties are made of PCB strip that must be cut to length, which I marked with a chisel. The kit was made by Scaleway, a UK company, but the template is downloaded from the Fast Tracks web site.

Then on to the tedious job of hacking all those ties up. An easily-made cutting board with a fence gave me a stable work surface that held the PCB so I could saw through it in one stroke, speeding the task up quite a bit.

Once all the ties are cut, I smeared the template, protected by a layer of packing tape, with white glue and pressed the ties into place.

... then set it aside to let it dry.

Next: Cutting and filing the rails.

No comments: