Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Putting My College Education to Work


Yours truly holds a bachelor's degree in the liberal arts, and of the electives I took to earn that sheepskin, several involved dirtying card paper with acrylic paint.

Now, decades later, I was faced with the problem: How do I paint the roof of this RPO when the commercially-produced Tamiya paint I bought for the job sucks? (It really does. Don't waste your money.)

As it happened, my tool box held several tubes of acrylic paint I bought from an art shop to paint some signs, probably for a garage sale, and there was still more than enough Mars black to see if I could still remember how to mix paint with water.

You know what? This stuff is leagues better than bottled paint, and a teensy dab goes a long, long way. Fussing with getting the right mix of paint to water is hardly any trouble at all, and even rewarding when it comes out just exactly right.

Of course, it's pretty easy for me to brag when I'm using black straight out of the tube. I'd probably be a frustrated wreck sucking on a bottle of grain alcohol in a dark corner if I'd tried to mix maroon on my quaint little tea saucer.

It's my first baby step.

No comments: