Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Just Like Starting Over

Daunted. That's the way I always feel when I start painting a car body. I know that after a few nights of persistent painting it'll shape up nicely, but that first coat looks so mousy, no matter what color it is or the method I use to apply it. I'm grateful the camera can't clearly see how both the cream and the maroon look thin and runny, as though I wasn't even trying.

I sprayed the cream on (see previous post), but I probably won't use the airbrush again on this model, mostly because I don't have the time tonight to clean it up, and especially not to mask off the parts where I don't want any more cream color. Besides, I want to hold a real brush. There'll be plenty of opportunities later to try masking for a complete airbrush job.

The work is slow, particularly where I have to use the point of the brush to mark off the boundary between the maroon and the cream. There's a line of rivets there as big as soft balls, but if I methodically pace myself the results are gratifying as well as relaxing, believe it or not.

Dig the grampa glasses. Fifteen dollars at Walgreen's. It's the only way I can focus on the details so as not to slop paint where it's not wanted. I've got one of those hooded things that goes over my head with the thick lenses, but I never could adjust the band so they'd stay on when I turned my head, and they're so uncomfortable I've used them only a handful of times. Reading glasses are the bomb.

No comments: