Monday, August 20, 2007

Transformations


The "decorated" dining car as delivered by Athearn, and a diner in the livery, sort of, of the Lost Continent Railway. The "decoration" on the upper car consists entirely of the words "New York Central," "Dining Car" and other gold lettering. There's not a spot of paint anywhere on it, not even the roof. Conversely, there isn't a single letter anywhere on the painted car. I haven't worked out how I'm going to do that, yet.

The decorated car has had three or four coats of cream, I forget exactly, and one coat of maroon over an old coat of lighter, glossy maroon. Oddly, both the old and new coat are both supposed to be "Milwaukee Road Maroon" but aren't even close, unless you squint, and turn off the lights. The cream color is what makes the livery good-looking, if you ask me, but I love to say "maroon" so much more than "cream."

No comments: