Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Day Behind The Paint Brush


Like all barbarians, I still paint my rolling stock with a brush. It's an especially ironic choice given that brushing on several coats takes hours, while the reason I don't like to use an airbrush (I have three different kinds) is all the time spent cleaning them out, not to mention that fiddling with masking tape frustrates the hell out of me.

The first coat is usually so discouragingly thin it makes me want to chuck all my paints and find a very simple hobby I might be good at, such as picking my nose or counting my fingers. It's particularly disheartening when I'm applying a light color on a dark background, just about all the time at my work bench because of all the cream in the livery of the LoCoRwy.

After applying just one more coat, applied just an hour or so after the first, the results are encouraging enough that I feel good about moving on.

No comments: